Daam Great Benefits to Galvanized Steel
Galvanizing is the best solution for corrosion protection, offering significantly greater benefits than paint or any other coating system. In fact, when it comes to handling, durability, coating thickness, application and protection, there’s no comparison.
Architects and Engineers specify galvanizing because it’s the most effective corrosion system with a long, maintenance-free lifespan. And if you’re considering galvanizing, you might want to review the following eleven major, measurable benefits:
1. Most economical: Galvanized steel is often the least expensive initial choice. As other labour intensive coatings have risen in rates, galvanizing has maintained a consistent price-point. Moreover, it lasts longer and requires less maintenance, making it the most cost effective, long-term option.
2. Maintenance-free: Galvanizing provides maintenance-free corrosion protection, unlike other protective coatings. This mitigates long-term costs, hassles and disruptions to production.
3. Longest lifespan: Galvanized coatings on typical structural members have a life expectancy in excess of 100 years.
4. Most durable: A galvanized coating has a unique metallurgical structure, providing outstanding resistance to damage during transport, erection and service.
5. Most reliable performance: Galvanizing is carried out to ASTM A123 and standard, minimum coating thicknesses are applied. Coating life and performance are reliable and predictable as it’s performance is based on the known corrosion rate of zinc. Galvanized steel provides a thick, complete and easily inspected coating.
6. Most protection: Galvanizing protects every part of a structure, including recesses, sharp corners and inaccessible areas. Galvanized coatings also provide cathodic or sacrificial protection to small areas of steel that are exposed due to damage. Unlike other coating options, small damaged areas are automatically protected and don’t require touch-ups due to zinc’s sacrificial nature.
7. Easy inspection: While simple, non-destructive thickness testing methods can be used to inspect galvanized steel, coatings can be readily examined by the eye. Quite simply, if the galvanized coating appears intact and functioning, it’s intact and functioning.
8. Fastest Assembly: Once manufactured, galvanized steel is immediately ready for use. Unlike other methods, no time is lost on timely surface preparation, painting and cure time. A full protective coating can be applied within minutes, regardless of weather conditions.
9. Versatile Usage: Galvanizing is suitable for a wide range of steel products (of varying sizes) and easily integrated with other materials.
10. Aesthetic Design: Galvanizing provides an attractive finish and offers a superior foundation for a decorative topcoat.
11. Environmental Sustainability: Zinc, like steel, is a natural substance that is recyclable. For more information on environmental sustainability, please click here.